Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Reviews are funny creatures. When I get lousy ones (and I've had my share -- including one memorable 1 star rating from Romantic Times that left me depressed for weeks!), I tell myself they don't matter and it's only one person's opinion anyway. When I get good ones, I want to yell it from the rooftop and make sure everybody knows. They like me. They really like me. Or at least my current book

I got a good one this week. I found out my May book DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT received 4 1/2 stars and is a Top Pick for May from RT. This is a big deal to me -- only my second Top Pick from the magazine, although their reviewers generally give me favorable ratings (the aforementioned 1-star slamfest notwithstanding!). I've been fortunate to have a couple books be nominated for the top Intimate Moments of the year by their reviewers and have twice been nominated for a Career Achievement Award.

I haven't actually seen the review as I don't subscribe to the magazine, just buy it in the bookstore the months I have a book out. If anybody gets it and wants to share, I'd love to see it.

So back to reviews. Most of the time I find them interesting learning experiences, even when the reviewers don't like my books. Sometimes they're ego-strokers. Sometimes I just shrug them off and wonder if the reviewer even read the book in question. I agree with Joyce Carol Oates: "Critics sometimes appear to be addressing themselves to works other than those I remember writing."

My favorite quote on critics is from Noel Coward: "I love criticism just so long as it's unqualified praise."

I have a little thicker skin than that but I must admit, it's validating when a reviewer seems to understand what I was trying to do with a story. DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT is my 20th book and though I'm fond of all of them, writing this one was a particularly magical experience. I loved the characters and the situation and the strength they found within themselves to face their challenges. It's nice to know at least one other person liked it too!

No comments: