Friday, March 10, 2006

I went to a Mary Kay party last night.

My friend was throwing it and I couldn't come up with a good excuse to wiggle out, try as I might. I have to admit, it was fun to talk to my friends, have a facial, put on all the girly gunk and try out new makeup colors. But I'm afraid I'm a tough sell for your average Mary Kay consultant. I've been using the same basic stuff since I was about 13 (Cover Girl Clean Makeup in Natural Ivory, if you have to know!). While I've used some MK stuff before and liked it well enough, I'm just not the kind of person who can put twenty different things on my skin. I just don't have the patience for it, I'm afraid. I go slightly cross-eyed with boredom just blow drying my hair!

So the consultant, who was very nice and energetic, brings out the jumbo bag of product. The Have-it-All bag or something like that and it's $300. Only sixty dollars a month for five months. Gulp. All I could think about was the new AlphaSmart Neo I want, since my old 3000 is wearing out from overuse. For that much money, I can buy the Neo ($220!) and about three years worth of Cover Girl.

Off to the doctor now -- both the 8yo and the 2yo have colds. This a.m. the 2yo woke up with not only icky eyes but one that's got an acute red spot on it. :::sigh::: I spend half my life at my pediatrician's office ...

2 comments:

annegirl said...

Oooh, you use an AlphaSmart? I've thought about getting one. To be honest, I adore my iBook but getting any writing done on it is difficult, especially with built-in wireless Internet and widgets. Curse them all!

As for makeup & hair care, I'm with you all the way. If it involves more than 10 minutes, I'm not doing it. I don't even use a foundation or a translucent powder; thank goodness for my clear complexion.

RaeAnne Thayne said...

I love my Alphie and couldn't live without it. I love it for just those very reasons you talked about, because a computer has too many other fun things to do. I know when I turn on my AlphaSmart, it's pure writing without distractions.

I also love that it turns on instantly, no waiting to boot up, and that it's small and durable enough to pack in a diaper bag!