DON'T BAKE THOSE COOKIES UNTIL YOU READ THIS!
An alert reader tipped me off to a mistake in my reader letter in the front of THE COWBOY'S CHRISTMAS MIRACLE. I printed a recipe for my favorite snickerdoodles and I think I must have been half-asleep when I sent it to my publisher (a not-uncommon situation here since I do lots of my work at night when the kiddies are asleep!). Anyway, apparently I listed baking powder when it should have been baking soda. It was right in the instructions but not in the list of ingredients. So here's the corrected version ...
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup shortening (I use margarine, softened)
3 cups white sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking SODA!
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, to taste and preference
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
2. Cream together butter, shortening or margarine, 3 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla with electric hand mixer or in food processor.
3. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
4. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
5. Mix the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll dough balls into mixture, place 2 inches apart on ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheets.
6. Bake 8-10 minutes until just firm (don't overcook!).
7. Remove immediately from baking sheets and enjoy!