Wednesday, October 04, 2006

WRITING AND BABIES

My husband sent me these quotes today and they're most appropriate for my life right now since I'm desperately trying to wrap up the Costa Rica book that's now five days late and counting. The last big push in trying to finish a book is much like the last miserable stage of childbirth, when you just feel like there's no way under heaven you can pull this thing off, no matter how hard you try. It's too tough, it's too much work, it hurts too @#$ bad. That's where I am right now, so these quotes very much resonated with me.

"I write the way women have babies. You don't know it's going to be like that. If you did, there's no way you would go through it." -- Toni Morrison

"Writing books is the closest men ever come to childbearing." -- Norman Mailer

No comments: